Be Fraud Aware
There are several ways that parties with sinister intentions may try to access information and intelligence about customers, their accounts, and their homes; however, there are actions that you can take to protect yourself.
Each year we receive reports of customers being contacted by parties representing themselves as Festival Hydro employees or working in partnership/on behalf of Festival Hydro. Customers are delivered non-factual information designed to extort money or personal details. Some common examples that have been used in the past are:
- That the customer is eligible for refunds or rebates.
- The account has an outstanding balance and service will be shut off immediately if an amount is not paid.
- Offers of “energy-saving” meter devices.
- Collection of carbon tax fees.
If you receive a call, text, or email from someone representing themselves as a Festival Hydro employee or working in partnership/on behalf of Festival Hydro, there are actions you can take to ensure the validity of the call and protect your personal information.
- Hang up and call Festival Hydro back. Ensure that you use the numbers provided on our website, 519-271-4700 or toll-free at 1-866-444-9370. Do not use the number that is shown on caller ID or a number provided to you by the caller.
- If the communication comes in the form of a text or email, do not click any links, delete the email or text, and call Festival Hydro.
- Know that Festival Hydro will not contact you and solicit immediate payment by threatening disconnection of your electrical service. There is a process of notification that must be followed when issuing a disconnect notice for non-payment of an account.
- Festival Hydro will not request or accept credit card information over the phone.
- Do not provide any personal details or account information to the caller.
What if someone shows up at my house and identifies themselves as a Festival Hydro employee?
Anyone who represents themselves as a Festival Hydro employee or working in partnership/on behalf of Festival Hydro will be able to present you with an identification badge that they are to display to you.
If you have not seen an identification badge, you may request that they show it to you.
If you have questions about the validity of the person’s representations, please do not hesitate to contact us for verification of the person’s identity and assigned task prior to allowing them access to your premises.
How can I protect my online account?
Take the following steps to better protect your MyFestivalHydro account from fraud and data breaches:
- Create a strong password
- Create unique passwords for every online account including social networks, emails, financial and other accounts
- Using a combination of passphrases that are easy for you to remember but hard for others to guess
- Only log in and access your account from trusted sources
- Don't reveal personal information online or over social media
What To Do If You’re a Victim of Fraud